Monday, June 1, 2015

Unsaved and serving?

Well I said I would share more on here about this weekends outreach event that I (John) was a part of. Jennifer stayed back and watched our kids and Stacy and Julios daughter.
     I was greatly anticipating this past weekend as I knew our main goal was to reach local prostitutes for Jesus. However I was not expecting to see what I saw and am yet sure what to do with it.
As we approached the streets of Mayaguez the stench of old buildings, urine and other detestable smells mixed with the smell of fried food and beer filled our senses I knew that it was going to be and interesting evening. Julio his wife Stacy and myself met a group of college students that are here as mission interns for the summer. We gathered to pray and made our way down the streets. Right away a 60 year old woman came up to us asking for what ever we had. We handed her a "gift pack" and prayed for her. Wow 2 min in and people are coming to us! What a night I thought. As we walked the director of the mission team shared some stories with us. He told us to look in dark corners and under steps as that is where most people hide/live. He shared a story of a young girl being forced into prostitution whom they shared Jesus with and she excepted a one way ticket back to the states where they had shelter for her. Last he knew she is doing great and no longer in prostitution! Praise Jesus! Wow, this is going to be an eventful evening filled with lots of prayer is what I thought. How great would it be to send a young girl back to the states to get her out of prostitution? Yet, we have only seen this one lady. As we walked farther we approached an old building. This building is know for Voodoo practice and other satanic worship. Local Police officers have found sacrificed animals on the second floor and symbols of all sorts. The director, Chad, went inside as there are usually people inside. There were none. I prayed over the building with the group and we moved on. Still no people. As we walked there were very few people out. Even Chad said it was odd. We prayed for a few people but no prostitutes were to be seen. We got to a point where we took a break for a drink. There were two kids/ young adults with us that were not with the group. They were kind of leading us to places they knew of. They were local to the area. I started talking with them at the table. They had so much enthusiasm and excitement for what we were doing, I wanted to know their story. What I heard shocked me, and not much does. As they shared why they did this I heard things from, I was rescued this way so I want others to be rescued this way too, I heard there was this mission thing going on and I wants to join and similar things. I was so excited to hear young men passionate for Jesus and sharing the freedom he offers. So I asked how and when they accepted Christ. To my shock their reply was, I don't believe in God and I really don't know, I do not think I believe in Jesus! WHAT???!!!!! How can this be? I was so confused, so I asked again to make sure I understood. They said very calm and confident with almost a smile on their face the same thing I heard prior. I was to say the least stunned.
     So I continued to ask how this happens. Literally, I asked them how they can be out doing the Lords work and not even believe in him? As I heard their stories I was not shocked but saddened. Like so many young people here on the island they have a wrong idea and view of who Jesus is and what he offers. They see religion and not relationship. They see rules and not love. They see regulations and not freedom. Point blank they have been taught about a Jesus that does not exist. They have been taught wrong. I did my best to share who Jesus was to me and what I knew, it seemed to cause them to think but nothing more. No hostility, they just listened and moved on. I was left in shock and still am. For a few reasons. First this goes to show that actions do not lead to salvation and not all people doing good are followers of Christ. Second, we need to be sharing the GOSPEL and not only living it. We must live out the gospel as well as share it! I was able to share this with the group of students as part of the group went into a strip club to pray over the women there. (they did not go into the show area) I was able to share with them what I just shared with you. We must share the gospel message. We must preach Jesus. Doing good is not enough. It is only part of our job. I am convinced that when people hear about the Jesus I know and you know they will want him. We cannot sit in our ivory tower of goodness and think we are doing anything for the kingdom! No we must preach the name of Jesus and share the gospel message. Our good deeds and pretty faces will get us nowhere if we do not share Jesus with the lost! There are people right now next to you, in your family, friends, at your church that do not know Jesus, share him with them. Share your testimony of who Jesus is to you and let them see how Jesus rescues us. I too desire for people to be rescued the way I was rescued. However, man did not rescue me, Jesus did!
     And the night just started. We continued to pray for a few more people when all of a sudden this man and woman come stumbling down the road. She looked half dead and had not eaten in days. We gave her food but she would hardly eat it. Her husband was walking her to the hospital, which was  two blocks away. Three of us helped carry her there as she had lost almost all use of her legs at this time. We got her inside and she blacked out, down for the count. They got her right in. We prayed over her but then were asked to leave. Not sure what happened but her husband was thankful. We finished the evening with a group prayer. Those two young men that I talked about earlier, they came up shoke my hand and said thank you. And they were gone. What an evening! Praying for all those we encountered and those we were with.
GO, SHARE YOUR TESTIMONY WITH SOMEONE! GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment