Tuesday, December 30, 2014

How?

How? This is a question that has come to my mind today. Jesus tells us the story of The Good Samaritian. It is a great story about, how religion gets in the way of what Jesus calls us to, and how love and mercy overcomes all obsticals. The question is, how. I am wrestling with this story this morning as I read about how the religious passed buy the man in need and the one person who shouldn't have helped did. I cannot help but see myself as the religious man. Let me explain. Here in Puerto Rico there are beggers on literally almost every major corner. Some Im sure are real needs, some are drug addicts looking for $1.00 for their next fix and some, well I'm not real sure. I find myself praying the light turns green before they get to my car, praying that they just walk on by, I don't make eye contact with them, honestly windows have even been rolled up when there are real persistent ones. I mean I have a family to keep safe and what if they remember me and come to me everytime.........This story is convicting me. This is not what Jesus would do. But what would he do? How would he do it? I mean I don't want to support a drug addiction! But at the same time I see myself acting more like the religious who pass by than the Samaritian who helps. I don't want to be the religious guy. But how do I help? How do I show mercy to these men and women on a daily bases? Yes we can hold events and hand out food, which we plan on doing, but how do we show mercy everyday? 
I honestly don't know and am struggleing with this. 
Personally speaking, these are the people I came here to help and to love. Why am I shying away from them? If they are willing to do this for a fix, imagine what they would be willing to do for Jesus! I mean think about it. How many of us are willing to go stand on street corners for money let alone Jesus? Our pride, self image, what others think of us and more get in the way right? These men and women have already gotten past that part. They don't care what people think of them, they are poor and/or addicted, and need money. Give them Jesus, I mean the real personal Jesus not just the Jesus people just talk about and say they know, if they get addicted, fall in love with Jesus what would they be willing to do for him? What would they be willing to do so others can see him too? 
Ok this may seem far fetched, making disciples out of outcastes right? But what did Jesus do? Who did he go to? Who were his first disciples? What does Jesus say in scripture about the rich, prideful, high and mighty? More important what does he say about the humble, poor and lowly? 
If we do not reach these men and women for Jesus who will? More importantly if we do not we are turning away from those that Jesus loves and we must love too. 
Sorry if this sounds like I just rambled on and on but this is something I am praying heavy about and is heavy on my heart today. How do we be the Good Samaritian and not the religious? How? That is the question that comes to my mind today.

1 comment:

  1. John, I am an American who has lived in Puerto Rico for 32 years. (My sister lives in Holland, Michigan - that's how I heard about you). I see the same thing in Ponce, everyday when I go down to my little store - one of their favorite hangouts, as my store gets alot of people passing by . Street people asking for money -they state they are hungry.(sometimes I think they make more money per hour then my employees - especially during tourist season.) I know for a a fact that there is a church group that feeds the street people a nice meal every day of the week, just 3 blocks from my store. So when they ask me for money for food, I tell them about the free meal, just 3 blocks away. They don't want to hear that - they want $$$$. I think the answer to helping you be a good samaritan - would be to find out where they have these places in the area that you live, that provide food/clothing for the street people and help out that way. Giving money to them is NOT the answer. - remember, Puerto Rico is not a 3rd world country. The USA government pays for alot of Section 8 housing, Welfare,Disability, Social Security etc. No one goes hungry, or unclothed or unsheltered here. It is only by their choice. This is an island backed by the US government. If you you to see real poverty - go to Haiti, Dominica Republic or Mexico - they need more help then people on this island.

    ReplyDelete